Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Graceling by Kristen Cashore

Synopsis:
In a world where people born with an extreme skill--called a Grace--are feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of a skill even she despises: the Grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

when she first meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.

She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace--or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away... a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

My Rating: 9/10

My Thoughts:
First off, I just want to say that I love, love, LOVE this book. It's definitely on my top 10 list of all time, and everyone should go read it right now.

I love books where gender roles are inverted, when a female character is either pretending to be a man, or they are naturally physically stronger, faster and better then the men. Specifically, I love how authors solve the problem of this female character finding love. I think as a society we generally think of the male as the protector and provider, so when these gender roles are reversed, the love story aspect becomes slightly complicated. So I found this book very interesting because when facing the main antagonist, Katsa has a weakness and Po does not. So though Katsa is faster and stronger and a better fighter, she still needs Po to help and protect her, as least in this one way. It creates an equality between them that Katsa exsperiences with no other man. Maybe it's just me, but I find that endlessly interesting.

All the characters are fabulous in this book, and I would love to hang out with them all. However, this isn't possible, so I'm stuck reading Graceling over and over again, pretending Katsa and Po are my best friends and eagerly wait for Bitterblue, which does not yet have a release date, to find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment