Saturday, January 2, 2010

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Synopsis:
In Coraline's family's new flat there is a locked door. On the other side is a brick wall--until Coraline unlocks the door... and finds a passage to another flat in another home just like her own.

Only different.

The food is better there. Books have pictures that writhe and crawl and shimmer. And there's another mother and father there who want Coraline to be their little girl. They want to change her and keep her with them... forever.

My Rating: 8/10

My Thoughts:
I wish I could come up with a smart, simple, original story like this. The book was both creepy and fun at the same time, and it brought back memories of my own childhood, wandering around my house and yard hoping for adventure to find me. I was a little annoyed by the writing style, to me it seemed a bit patronizing, but overall detracted very little from the story.

I did watch the movie before reading the book, and was disappointed to discover that Wybie was not in the book. He was my favorite part of the movie. Overall, Coraline was very short, very quick to read, and very fun.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you don’t mind that I spotlighted your blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! It is going on my wish list :)

    Oh and J Kaye is right - your header is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book too, and felt the opposite way about the film, I didnt enjoy it.
    Great blog, I found you at j.kayes.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete