Monday, May 31, 2010

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Synopsis:
Seventeen year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Miller’s life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father… until her mother decides it would be in everyone’s best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie’s father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms – first love, the love between parents and children – that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts… and heal them.

My Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts:
I'll admit it. I was one of those people who saw the trailer for the movie and then jumped in the queue of holds at the library. therefore it took a long time for the book to finally come. But it did. I liked it, with one exception. (And no, the exception was not the fact that I pictured Miley Cyrus as Ronnie the entire time)

I've got nothing against Miley Cyrus, and didn't really mind picturing her as Ronnie. She fit the description and I moved on with my life.

I really liked the first half of the book. Ronnie is your typical angsty teen that you generally find in the beginning of these types of books. She parties, and gets into trouble but she doesn't drink, so you know she is good at heart. (obvs) Despite the angst, Ronnie ended up being a pretty likable character. The romance was good, which was a major reason I liked the first part so much.

My problem with this book was the last third. Stuff happens, characters are sad, and everything got really, really preachy. Personally, this was a big turn off for me, but there are probably plenty of people who don't mind, or actually read the book for that stuff. I just didn't dig it.

Overall, good first part, but the second part got on my nerves. I liked the movie too, they eliminated a lot of the preachy-ness so I was digging it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment