Sunday, July 25, 2010

Girl Overboard by Justina Chen Headley

Synopsis:
Everybody thinks Syrah is the golden girl. After all, her father is Ethan Cheng, billionaire, and she has everything any kid could possibly desire: a waterfront mansion, jet plane, and custom-designed snowboards. But most of what glitters in her life is fool's gold. Her half-siblings hate her, her best friend's girlfriend is ruining their friendship, and her own so-called boyfriend is only after her for her father's name. When her broken heart results in a snowboarding accident that exiles her from the mountains--the one place where she feels free and accepted for who she is, not what she had--can Syrah rehab both her busted-up knee and her bruised heart?

My Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts:
After reading North of Beautiful, I decided to check out all that Justina Chen Headley had to offer. Unfortunately Girl Overboard fell short.

I think if I had read Girl Overboard first, it wouldn't have seemed as disappointing, because don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad book. It just wasn't as good as I hoped.

What I did like was the book was about a very, very rich girl who was very down to earth and real. She had the same problems that many of us face every day despite the fact that we are not rich. She wants simply to fit in and be liked for who she is, and I thought it was kind of refreshing to read about this from her particular perspective.

What I was hoping for was more romance. It seemed to have a promising love story in the beginning, but then drifts away from that story line. I am pro love story, and will almost always rate a book with a good love story higher. But that's just my personal bias.

Overall, it was an entertaining story, I just had the misfortune of reading it right after North of Beautiful and because of this had greater expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment