Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey

Synopsis:
Alone and far from the lands of her birth, young Moirin sets out across wild Tartar territory to find her beloved Bao, the proud Ch'in stick fighter who holds the missing half of her diadh-anam, the divine soul-spark of her mother's people. But the lovers' reunion is short lived. Morin is abducted, cast in chains that bind her magic, and betrayed into the hands of a fanatic Yeshuite priest. Fiercely zealous, he is determined to save Moirin's soul and convert her to his faith... or see her stoned to death for her many sins. With her sould declared a battleground of the gods, Moirin will struggle to hodl on to her humanity and survive--all the while wondering if the gift of love bestowed on her by the godess Naamah is a blessing or a curse.

My Rating: 9/10

My Thoughts:
It's always so hard to talk about and review books that are not the first in the series. Even the synopsis can give stuff away in the first book. But I'm going to try my best.

I really, really liked this book. It's different from all the other Kushiel/Naamah books in the sense that there really isn't a huge sweeping political story line. Instead this is mostly a story about Moirin and Bao's relationship. And though I love the high stakes political catastrophes in the other novels, I really enjoyed reading about the two lovers coming to terms with their relationship.

Furthermore, as is always the case with the Kushiel/Naamah stories, the characters travel to the most wonderful and richly portrayed locations. I am in love with Carey's alternate world and would give anything to visit them. It's facinating to read the interprations of cultures and I always look forward to the new countries the characters will visit in each book.

Overall, I liked this book better than the first one, but if you are looking for far-sweeping politics this story might not be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment