Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hourglass by Claudia Gray

Synopsis:
After escaping from Evernight Academy, the vampire boarding school where they met, Bianca and lucas take refuge with the Black Cross, a fanatical group of vampire hunters. Bianca must hide her supernatural heritage or risk certain death at its hands. But when Black Cross captures her friend--the vampire Balthazar--hiding is no longer an option.

Soon Bianca and Lucas are on the run again, persued not only by Black Cross but by the powerful leaders of Evernight. Yet no matter how far they travel, Bianca can't escape her destiny.

My Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts:
I'm not exactly sure how much I should say about this book because it's the third in the series, and I don't want to give a lot away. I really think it suffers from middle book syndrome, and a lot of plot and action took place in the first two books. This one starts off slow, but sets itself up for an exciting final installment. In fact it was the final 75 pages that really saved this book in my opinion. I had some predictions about what exactly was going on, but Claudia Gray went way farther than I would have ever guessed. Like with Evernight before it, I was surprised and that fact really factors in to how much I like a book.

I liked how you got to see a lot more of Bianca and Lucas interacting in this book. With the others, it always seemd like they only saw each other in short snatches of time, and then one or the other was running off before they got caught together. In this book, the two finally get to be together and I think it really helped make the relationship belieivable. Relationships in novels get old when the two characters are madly in love, but they hardly know each other, and they never really get to see each other.

However, this book ends on a major cliff-hanger which is frustrating. Now I'm stuck waiting for another year until Afterlife is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment