Monday, April 19, 2010

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

Synopsis:
In the summer of 1855, Walt Whitman's controversial Leaves of Grass has just been released, and the notion of making a living as a writer is still a far-off dream for Louisa. She is twenty-two year old, vivacious, and bursting with a desire to be free of her family and societal constraints so she can do what she loves most--write. The Alcott family, destitute as usual, moved to a generous uncle's empty house in Walpole, New Hampshire, for the summer. Here a striking but pensive Louisa meets Joseph Singer. Louisa is initially unimpressed by Joseph's charms. But just as she begins to open her heart, she discovers that Joseph may not be free to give his away. Their new found love carries a steep price, and Louisa fears she may pay with the independence she has fought so hard to protect.

My Rating: 6/10

My Thoughts:
I don't know why I keep reading historical fiction about real people, because I hate knowing how the story ends even before I get started. However, because I'm a sucker for 19th century women writers, I gave in and read this one. However, I probably could have lived without it.

I found Louisa to be very annoying. I think the author was going for feisty in an Elizabeth Bennet kind of way, but ended up being snobbish instead. I also had a problem believing the love story. Louisa spends most of the book either hating Joseph and denying her 'feelings' for him, or mad at him. They only really have a couple instances where the two are actually happy together. When I'm reading a love story, one of my main criteria is reading about them actually being in love.

I've seen a lot of good reviews for this book recently, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment