Thursday, April 29, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Synopses:
Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow eyed wolf--her wolf-- watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace... until now.

For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human--and Grace must fight to keep him--even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

My Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts:
It took me a long time to even pick this book up because, like vampires, werewolves are WAAAAY over done right now. However for lack of anything else to read, I decided try it out. I had read a lot of hype about this book and with generally good reviews, so because of this my expectations were high, but in the end Shiver let me down.

It was not all bad. I liked how the werewolves changing depended on the temperature of the air around them. That was something new and interesting to find in one of the many excessive stories surrounding this folklore. And I did love Sam. He is just a generally good guy, and I'm a sucker for them in the stories I read. (And don't even get me started on how much I love books with hot boys who love to read!)

Besides this though, I thought the plot could have used a little more oomph. I was never on the edge of my seat, dying to know what was going to happen next. Everything just kind of plays out methodically, I was not impressed by the antagonist, and I pretty much knew what was going to happen at the end.

However, I was kept interested enough to await the next book in the series to see if there's an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment