Sunday, February 7, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Synopsis:
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol--a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

My Rating: 9/10

My Thoughts:
Two of my friends and I got up early the day this book came out, bought it, and then sat in my living room all day reading it. Everyone who saw us laughed, because we spoke very little to each other for hours on end, simply sitting in our chairs reading. Our only interaction was to ask what page the others were on and to comment on the content of the book in our hands. It was a glorious day, and the book did not disappoint.

With this book you get a much broader perspective of the country of Panem. You find out a little bit more about the other districts, and what they do in each one. Also you get a much bigger sense of the anti-capitol undercurrents swirling around the districts. I had a guess about what would be going on in this book, and I guess I was kind of right in the sense that I was still far enough off that I was taken completely by surprise half way through. I don't know, maybe you all saw what was coming, but I didn't.

The only reason I knocked a star off this book is because it lacked the same punch the first one had, but being the second in a series, you can't really blame it. You're left with another clifhanger ending, this one even worse then the end of Hunger Games, and I can't wait for the third book to come out next August. My desktop countdown says only 196 days!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this second installment, but I agree that it lacked that same gusto that the first had.
    What do you think it going to happen in the last book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I never thought I would be discussing dystopis right alongside Shakespeare.
    I agree. Collins surprised me in the second book by sending them both back in. I really thought she was going to develop some of the minor characters, or have the rules change and throw Gale into the games. I do think she is going to "off" one of the male characters, and I am curious to see what she does with Haymitch. I think he has a big role to play yet.

    ReplyDelete