Tuesday, February 2, 2010

O Pioneers by Willa Cather

Synopsis:
Published in 1913, this novel tells of Alexandra Bergson, a Swedish immigrant who, in her early 20s, loses both her mother and father and is thrust into the role of surrogate parent to her three brothers. Alexandra's success with the family farm enables her to send her brother Emil to college, but the family is challenged once more by his tragic love affair with a married woman.

My Rating: 8/10

This book is like Little House on the Prairie for adults, and I think that's why I loved it so much. It's not a thrilling page turner, in fact not a lot happens until the end, but this novel manages to entertain despite its lack of action. To me it was a soothing read, and in ways reminded me of The Country of Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett. In fact, looking at the book again I realize O Pioneers is dedicated to her, so I guess that's fitting.

My favorite part of this novel is the fact that Alexandra is successful and she's a woman. Many books written at the time, and earlier, try to write strong women, or claim they do write strong women but fall short. O Pioneers however succeeded with a strong female character where others fail.

The one thing I didn't like about this novel is how it jumped through time. One section would end right when a plan was thought or a decision was made and the next would start 5 years later. I would have like to see a little bit of the plan or decision executed, but that's just me.

Overall I really enjoyed reading Willa Cather and already have My Antonia sitting by my bed waiting to be picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment